How To Reset Ink Level On Canon Pixma MP140/MP150   August 31st, 2010

It would seem that manufacturers are not happy any more simply selling you a product; instead they engineer in ways to try and retain your business and force you into buying their own brand consumables and/or replacement parts.  In fairness, this makes for good business practice but for the cost conscious consumer, it’s not exactly good news.  It wasn’t so long ago that I wrote a blog post regarding Lenovo and batteries.  The Lenovo software will constantly remind you that you do not have a genuine battery if you replace yours with an aftermarket model and at the most inappropriate moment, redirect you to one of their sales sites in the hope that you will buy another genuine one.  In fact, they’ll even give you a warning that your laptop may spontaneously combust if you continue to use an aftermarket one; the fact they are made by the same manufacturer in the same factory has nothing to do with it of course, they simply want your money at their inflated prices.  It’s not just the once though, the pop ups and reminders happen time and time again.

We have an aging Canon MP140 Pixma inkjet printer.  In fairness it didn’t cost a lot and it doesn’t get much use but its ideal as a second printer for printing off draft copies of documents; of course it also acts as a scanner and photocopier which are useful features.  It was originally bought for printing photographs and actually for the cost, the results are quite impressive.  The problem comes when it’s time to replace the consumables, its astonishing the difference in price between a full set of genuine Canon ink cartridges and a set of cheap (refilled) aftermarket equivalents from the likes of ASDA or Tesco.  Of course this is all part of the master plan over at Canon (and in fairness, all the other printer manufacturers too; yes, I am referring to you Dell/Lexmark), you’re sold a relatively complex piece of kit that actually performs really well at a rock bottom price; the catch? Well the consumables are going to cost you more than the printer itself.

The printer will of course run perfectly well with non-genuine cartridges, however the printing software (both on your machine installed as part of the driver package and on the hardware controls on the printer itself) will refuse to acknowledge the presence of the new cartridges and will constantly remind you as with the Lenovo software above, that you are not using genuine Canon consumables.  In this case, every time you print you are told that your ink has run out which clearly is not the case.  It’s more frustrating than anything else, of course had I installed genuine Canon cartridges the ink level monitor would have automatically reset but now, no matter how many times I reinstall the cartridges or reset the printer; it simply keeps telling me I am out of ink even though they are new cartridges.  The same would be true if I had taken a set of empty genuine Canon cartridges to the likes of Cartridge World to be refilled; the printer is clever enough to recognise the exact cartridges and will remember that it has run out of ink.

Well I am sorry Canon; I will not be buying your cartridges because I know a way around this problem.  It’s actually quite simple all you need to do is perform a factory reset as would take place if you sent your printer back for service to fool the printer, then the levels reset and it is happy to use much cheaper, after-market consumables.

Just do the following:

• Disconnect the power supply to the printer by removing the power lead from the back
  • Press and hold the Power Button whilst plugging the power lead back in, then whilst continuing to hold the button down press the Reset Button (the one with the red triangle inside the circle) twice
  • Release the Power Button and after around 10 seconds the display will show ‘0’
  • Press the + Button to change the value from ‘0’ to ‘1’
  • Press the Colour Button; you’ll notice that both the A4 Plain Paper and A4 Photo Paper LEDs will now be on
  • Make sure that there is some paper in the paper feeder
  • Press the Power Button twice; the printer will now print some random information which you can discard
  • Now open the printer cover (not the scanner cover) and remove the cartridges.  With the printer still open, remove the power lead from the back of the printer once again
  • Close the printer cover
  • Replace the power lead and press the Power Button to turn the printer back on
  • Now replace the cartridges and the ink level monitor will be reset

It’s about time that manufacturers acknowledged that owing to their inflated prices buying genuine consumables are simply too prohibitive for a lot of people.  If they were to lower the cost (and let us be frank, does it really cost them that much to produce?) then I would not have an issue with them engineering in ways to try and manipulate you into buying their own consumables.  But if they insist on keeping their prices so high, stop the nagging; we aren’t fooled and we aren’t going to buy from you anyhow.  Remember a happy customer is a customer for life and above all else, the customer is always right!

I hope you find this useful.

Tags: ,
    This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 at 12:27 pm and is filed under Blah, Personal Rants, Technology Related. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

147 Responses

August 31st, 2010 at 6:30 pm
    Canon PIXMA MX330 InkJet All-In-One Printer | Digital World Says:

[...] How To Reset Ink Level On Canon Pixma MP140/MP150… | Mike Southby [...]

September 1st, 2010 at 5:55 pm
    GERRY SWAN Says:

Cheers it was doing my head in many thanks

September 1st, 2010 at 6:11 pm
    Mike Southby Says:

No worries Gerry, you’re not the only one; it nearly went out the window until I figured out a way of doing it ;)

September 25th, 2010 at 10:31 am
    Steve Says:

What a star. I love people like you who spend your own time finding ways round stuff like this to help others. Nice one.

September 25th, 2010 at 11:42 am
    Matt Says:

PERFECT!

Thanks

October 4th, 2010 at 10:19 am
    Mike Southby Says:

Thanks Steve, it’s good to know that others are benefiting.

October 11th, 2010 at 4:06 pm
    Steve C Says:

Thanks Mike!!

Simply brilliant.

Steve in Helsinki

October 11th, 2010 at 7:16 pm
    Mike Southby Says:

Pleasure Steve, glad to be of help.

October 15th, 2010 at 2:48 pm
    Dave W Says:

Hi there Mike, good work on figuring out how to reset your printer! I have been playing with my Canon MP490 to achieve the same results but to no avail. Do you have any tips on where to find some info specific to this printer?
    No worries if not- i shall continue ‘button bashing’ and trawling the internet.

Keep up the good work,

Dave

October 15th, 2010 at 2:53 pm
    Dave W Says:

Scratch that! In the end all I had to do was hold down one of the buttons for about 10 seconds (I think it was the reset/cancel button)…

Cheers, dave

October 15th, 2010 at 3:46 pm
    Mike Southby Says:

@Dave, great news that you have managed to sort your problem. Be great it you could post up the technique you used so others could benefit if they have the same printer.

October 17th, 2010 at 10:33 am
    John Proudlock Says:

Hi Mike.I couldn’t get the ‘0’ to appear.Printer goes straight to E then 4 flashing !

October 31st, 2010 at 3:44 pm
    Ciaran Cassidy Says:

Hi Mike, thanks for this post but ‘0’ doesn’t appear in my screen either. Any ideas?

October 31st, 2010 at 8:24 pm
    Davies6942 Says:

Guys , I played around with the suggestions above to no avail .

Pulling together various posts for othr sites I managed to get my Pixma 140 to allow refilled carts as per below :-

After the printer initiaises , hold down the Cance/reset button for up to ten seconds then press the colour button . If yuo watch the printer’s status via the control panel and the Maintenance tab you will be notified that a refilled cartridge has been installed .
    Tried after a rebbot and the fix took . I’d imagine replacing the cart would require this action to be performed again but have yet to test .
    Hope this helps someone :)

November 3rd, 2010 at 10:24 pm
    gary Says:

worked a treat! thank you very much!

January 1st, 2011 at 1:02 pm
    Peter Heydon Says:

Hi

Canon mp140 ink cartridges.

I’ve seen your solution on other sites and it clearly works for most but not for me. I’ve followed the first three instructions of your bullet points but then the display screen shows nothing, not even a zero and i therefore can’t proceed. It’s really annoying because i had some canon cartridges and when i went along to ‘Cartridge Right’ they persuaded me to do refills and absolutely assured me there would be no problem. Obviously i wasn’t aware of compatability problems until i put the things in and a dialogue box keeps coming up on screen stating that it doesn’t recognise them. HELP !!! Please and thankyou. Pete

January 12th, 2011 at 5:34 pm
    Camski Says:

You are amazing – thank you

January 14th, 2011 at 11:06 am
    Eija Says:

Hi, same problem as John Proudlock, Ciaran Cassidy and it’s driving me crazy! Could somebody please help! Can’t get rid of the E5 error no matter what I try!

January 16th, 2011 at 6:43 pm
    Camski Says:

Hi Mike – you were great in helping me sort out being able to reset the machine to print though now it won’t copy or scan. I have read all that I can but have no idea what to do, there is nothing to indicate that there is a problem?

January 22nd, 2011 at 6:25 pm
    james bell Says:

Hi Mike
    Thanks worked a treat a friend gave me the printer cause of cartrige problem thanks very much and carry on the great work.

Thanks Again Mike

January 23rd, 2011 at 3:42 pm
    phil Says:

Thanks this is a real problem and you are the one genuine solution i’ve found. Thank you so very much.

February 23rd, 2011 at 11:54 pm
    Gary Says:

BRRILLLL!!! Thanks Mike, Just had to press the colour button twice thats the only difference for me.
    This was the 3rd sequence I came across, and the only one that worked.
    A million thanks.

February 27th, 2011 at 5:15 pm
    claire Says:

Thanks – You just saved me from throwing my printer out the door.

March 21st, 2011 at 11:07 pm
    Ian187 Says:

Mike, I got as far as re-installing the power lead and pressing the Reset button twice but there is nothing in the display window at all, just the yellow alarm lamp flashing 5 times. When you reboot the E5 comes back aaaaargh!

March 25th, 2011 at 6:25 am
    marwijn Says:

..this is helpful, tnx mike… :)

how about if I install a botomless ink on my printer, would it be possible to disable the ink level sensor? tnx again..

marwijn

May 9th, 2011 at 8:40 pm
    Mags Says:

Cheers. That solved the problem, a great help.

May 19th, 2011 at 5:19 pm
    thx Says:

thx again mate solved the problem nice

May 23rd, 2011 at 6:32 am
    Umabalan Says:

The solution just doesn’t work on my Canon Pixms MP150.

I followed until Setp 7 : Press Power button twice, but the printer didn’t print anything.

Neverthele, I continued until final step. Got a notification in monitor that printer’s catridge has been replaced. However, I still could not print.

Kindly Advice.

June 3rd, 2011 at 10:51 pm
    Paul Says:

Hi Mike,

I am an EE and spent 30 years designing military computers and Telecom computers, until they made me retire 5 years ago. I don’t think I’m a dummy and I have worked on teams designing the electronics for some printers (NOT Canon) but this whole process has had me so frustrated that I wrote Canon and told them if they did not have a solution for me I would pitch this @^%*&%*()(**&% MP150 off the roof and would NEVER buy another Canon product. This is kind of cutting my own nose off though because I really want a Canon Rebel EOS 12 MP camera. Oh well, Nikon makes some nice ones too. They have not answered and I have been fighting this for almost 3 days now so I started looking for a way to get to the roof until I ran across your write up.

I want to thank you greatly for this information. I figure you must have done a lot of work for Canon at some time.

I followed your procedure and got the same results as Gary said in his post on 23 February. When I pressed the Color button the 2nd time it printed the test sheet and the rest just worked. When I powered back up the Yellow alert light for the Black ink was off and it printed like it should.

You are one of the true hero’s for the struggling Canon MP printer users. I was really looking forward to seeing this sucker hit the pavement from the roof though.

Paul
    The Uncarved Block
    Sebastopol, California USA

July 3rd, 2011 at 9:47 am
    david Says:

reset printer worked perfectly solved the e4 error

July 23rd, 2011 at 7:48 pm
    Jack Says:

Reset and working again
    many thanks Jack

July 31st, 2011 at 4:19 pm
    sarah Says:

hi thanks got the printer working with using your instructions but the only problem is now i it wont let print from my laptop i have installed all the cds, can you help please thank you

August 9th, 2011 at 5:34 am
    Abhishek Says:

Hi Mike,

Could you please tell me, how to use mp140 scanner without installing cartridges?

September 3rd, 2011 at 12:42 am
    ink cartridges Says:

ink cartridges…

[...]How To Reset Ink Level On Canon Pixma MP140/MP150 | Mike Southby[...]…

September 20th, 2011 at 3:02 pm
    graham hirst Says:

downloaded your info to re-set ink levels on my canon pixma 140.followed it through easily and ink levels showed full. thanks for publishing the info. kind regards graham.

September 20th, 2011 at 5:29 pm
    mike Says:

Thanks Graham, glad that you found the info useful.

September 24th, 2011 at 9:07 pm
    marco Says:

I tried with canon 490 , followed each steps….but I don’t even get the 0 on the monitor? any suggestion?

October 3rd, 2011 at 5:54 pm
    Martin B Says:

Tried the original version but nowt worked.
    Tried other variants – still E5 flashes
    Think its out of the window with the 140.
    Can anyone promote a printer scanner which takes cheapo refills.
    Perhaps there’s a career for someone who can be bothered to collate such data.
    MB

October 15th, 2011 at 2:31 am
    John Says:

I have tried over and over with new off market cartridges all I get is E 2 can you think of a reset that will reset I’m baffled

October 15th, 2011 at 2:09 pm
    Javier Says:

Hi.

I wanted to tell you that after buying a non-official Pelikan cartridge that the printer refused to recognize, I’ve managed to make it work using your method and now the printer works perfectly.

Thank you very much.

October 24th, 2011 at 2:38 am
    George R Says:

Hi There
    I would like to say a HUGE Thank you. Am just starting up a new Work From Home Business & bought a new MX420. I followed the above instructions, as there is nothing online for my Printer, etc as yet, to reset the settings for the ink. In the end, tried Dave W pressing the Stop button for 10 seconds, then the Coulour Print. Works a TREAT! Thank you! I can stop stressing about it now :)

November 4th, 2011 at 11:11 am
    Alison C Says:

For all those folk this didn’t work for – try taking out the ink cartridges & repeating Mike’s instructions. After a about 10 repeats with the cartridges in & only getting the yellow flashing triangle, I took both ‘dodgy’ cartridges out, switched off and started from the beginning. This time I did get the ‘0’ & was able to follow each step, re-inserting cartridges right at the end as per instructions.

Next problem was it gave me an E16 but this can be overridden by holding down the reset button for 5 secs (Canon instructions).

After 2 weeks out of action my printer is now functioning again! Good luck everyone & ‘Cheers’ Mike!

November 18th, 2011 at 12:55 pm
    Rosie Says:

Thank you so much, you’re am absolute gem.
    I’ve been constantly pulling my hair out about this.

December 12th, 2011 at 5:09 pm
    Carolbong Says:

I’ve searched the internet for days to try to reset my Canon Mp140 but all attempts at resetting failed, yes failed, until I found you!

Incredible, just one attempt and succeeded!
    Thank you so much.

December 15th, 2011 at 7:01 pm
    Jake Says:

wow mike, you are a genious thank you for sharing looked for ages to sort this out for my girlfriends grandmother! you’re a life saver.

January 1st, 2012 at 11:57 pm
    vasago Says:

Hello,mike and happy new year! I wanted to ask you if it is the same process on the pixma mx-410. Or i should do something different…thanks in advance for your help Mike!

January 2nd, 2012 at 12:46 pm
    Mike Says:

Hey, I’m afraid I would not know about the MX-410 withot having one to investigate with; normally though, most manufacturers use very similar ‘steps’ to achieve the same outcome on different models so if the above does not work, experiment with slightly different steps and you may get lucky. Sorry I can’t help more.

January 4th, 2012 at 8:56 pm
    Eleanor Says:

Hey there Mike

I googled looking for an answer to why my ink was not recognised not realising that because it wasnt canon that is why.

Solved the problem for me
    Thanks

January 4th, 2012 at 8:59 pm
    Mike Says:

No problems Eleanor, only glad to have been some help.

January 13th, 2012 at 9:07 pm
    Mark Says:

Can i bring it round to you to sort out :O/

January 17th, 2012 at 4:32 pm
    matthew Says:

Thx

You really helped me!

January 21st, 2012 at 3:46 pm
    Iman Says:

Hi Guys,
    Guys with MX410, do not need to reset their printer after refilling.

if it does not print the received fax docs automatically, you have to go to FAX Setting (from menu)
    choose “Auto print setting” and then choose “print when out of ink” afterward and set it to print*, its default value is “Dont print” !!!
    the only annoying thing is that the replacement warning is blinking on your LCD! but every things works fine,

Thanks mike for giving me this opportunity to share my experience
    Love you all,
    Iman

January 27th, 2012 at 6:05 pm
    elaine brennan Says:

Mike was wonderin could you help me. The yellow triangle is flashing and nothing appearing on the dial for me to change from 1 to 0. Thanks

February 19th, 2012 at 10:12 am
    Robbie Says:

Canon Pixma MP 490
    Mike have tried the process you have suggested. Screen blank. The constant massage on screen tells me that the ink has run out and there is an orange light. Any suggestions

February 21st, 2012 at 5:17 pm
    Adam Says:

Hi Mike,

Tried to reset the ink levels on my MP150 following your instructions. All went well until step 7 “Press the Power Button twice; the printer will now print some random information which you can discard”

Nothing happened when I pressed the Power Button twice, but when I then pressed the ‘colour copy’ button, the print came out as described. After following the remaining instructions, the printer now shows full ink tanks (no error). Hope this is useful to anyone else with this problem.

Many thanks,

Adam

February 21st, 2012 at 9:43 pm
    Manu Says:

finally after this “simple procedure”, it works now !
    Manu

February 22nd, 2012 at 5:39 am
    Galih Says:

thanks a lot Mike, it really works… both black and color cartridge its full now… and I don’t need to buy a new one…

February 28th, 2012 at 5:44 pm
    Amerson Says:

Thanks bro! it actually worked!!! your a genius!

March 5th, 2012 at 9:53 pm
    Laura Says:

This has saved my life!! Thank u!!

March 6th, 2012 at 6:10 pm
    Frensch Says:

Thanks so so much man, your are our hero dude. There is nothing as frustrating as a piece of teq that just dont wanna work. The Canon ink cart dont last to long either so refilling them cost me like 6 euro a for 9 refills, better than 35 euro for 1 refill. GOD bless you man.

March 8th, 2012 at 10:56 pm
    Travis Says:

Very helpful information. I have a mx410 and all I had to do was reboot and hold the red cancel button for ten seconds. A message appears saying “Please wait awhile” for about two to three minutes. Then after that your standard menu appears and you are able to print. A message stating “Black Ink Volume Unknown” appears, but you have your printer back.

March 17th, 2012 at 1:48 pm
    Dany Says:

Hey.. i have a canon pixma mp140.. i folow what did you say.. when you said to press twice the power button he stopped.. please.. i need help

March 21st, 2012 at 7:07 pm
    Gabriella Says:

OH THANK YOU!! I had replaced my Canon MX410 with a re-manufactured cartridge and it never reset itself. The “old” counter finally ran out yet the new cartridge still has plenty of ink. It just stopped and kept giving me an ink error. I was starting to panic as I print labels for eBay and had to make a bunch of copies! THANK YOU SO MUCH TRAVIS!!!!!!!!!

March 31st, 2012 at 1:33 pm
    R Roberts Says:

I have the same problem as Ian187 – no 0 and an infuriating error light flashing 5 times. Nothing I do seems to work. I give up!

April 17th, 2012 at 6:26 pm
    John Proudlock Says:

Worked really well.the no ink sign had been bugging me for ages (don’t we let little things annoy us !)Thank you.I have regained my sanity.(Until the next problem!).

John

April 24th, 2012 at 6:46 pm
    Margaret Says:

Hi! I thought you would be able to help me, but you didn’t. I did everything like it was said up there, and when I would press print – it would go back to the way it was – telling me it doesn’t recognise it – I tried redoing everything again for a couple of times, and it still gave me the same thing at the end – what should I do? The strange thing is that I have been refilling my cartridge so many times and everything was fine, until a few days it decided to not recognise them!

May 5th, 2012 at 2:56 am
    Ben Says:

You sir are a legend!

May 14th, 2012 at 3:02 am
    TMan Says:

Excellent job and thank you.
    If anyone has trouble with your instructions, then by all means they have trouble with instructions in general.

*Thumbs up* and a *high five* to you !!

~T~

May 14th, 2012 at 7:47 pm
    Pac Says:

Hi,

You are a genius! Thanks! I have one minor observation. The step: “Press the Power Button twice; the printer will now print some random information which you can discard” did not print anything. I had to press the COLOUR Button in order to print something.

Thanks again and happy printing!

May 14th, 2012 at 7:48 pm
    Pac Says:

Hi,

Thanks again and happy printing!

P.S. I have a MP150

May 30th, 2012 at 11:05 pm
    Paul Says:

GENIUS! Worked first time. Last tried a “solution” on ehow but didn’t work either and was about to give up so THANKS again much appreciated.

June 3rd, 2012 at 7:56 am
    toniboy76 Says:

thank’s nice job,its working now.thanks a lot

June 15th, 2012 at 4:08 pm
    Ruby Says:

Thank you sooooo much, I know nothing about printers and Davies6942’s solution worked straight away!

June 21st, 2012 at 2:16 pm
    Mike Says:

Thanks very much. Was dismayed after buying a cheaper ASDA Colour cart and had issues with ink levels. This did the trick on my old MP140.

June 22nd, 2012 at 10:17 am
    Jaerd Says:

All you have to do with any cart whether its old and empty or refilled is to press and hold the stop button for about ten seconds. this will overide the error report. Dont turn off or anything.

July 8th, 2012 at 8:53 am
    Storm Says:

This really worked on my mp140 wow thanks.

July 16th, 2012 at 9:28 am
    alex Says:

very nice perfect working , thanks for share .

July 20th, 2012 at 3:41 pm
    mAXX Says:

THANKS BRO, WONDERFUL.

August 1st, 2012 at 9:13 pm
    Marci Hunter Says:

Thank you so much. A while ago I discovered your technique and used it ever since, even though i had to try 10 times until it worked, IT WORKED and I’m really thankful.

August 2nd, 2012 at 10:17 am
    din Says:

i have followed the instructions up to step 2 but the printer does not show display ‘0’ yet the alarm light blinks. following the procedure does not solve the problem.

August 5th, 2012 at 6:34 am
    Sushant Says:

Yes!! It works :)

August 7th, 2012 at 10:29 am
    Matt Says:

I have an MX410, followed these steps strictly then trying different variants but can only get the steady blue light on the copy button; thats it. Someone mentioned the FAX settings from the menu but with this problem you cant access the menu you just get U053. Can anyone help or advise please?

August 9th, 2012 at 4:01 pm
    Charlie Says:

Hi Mike,

I get to the step where i press the power button twice and its suppose to print. its about to print and it stops there. the paper gets stuck so i cant go to the next step. how can i fix this problem?

August 18th, 2012 at 8:05 pm
    Pete Brown Says:

Oh yes, this solution is well known, I first found it on a forum years ago. Still, you’ve passed it on, which might help a few people who never found the original. Not sure if your life story and rant about Canon will help anyone though. Normally it’s best just to publish a solution to a problem and leave it at that. People aren’t really interested in life stories and rants! Anyway, as I said, this has been around for years, so it’s not you who found out how to do it, so you should have acknowledged the original source. Unfair to claim credit for someone else’s work.

August 19th, 2012 at 7:30 pm
    Mike Says:

Pete, in fairness for everyone who finds a ‘solution’ to a problem, there are probably hundreds of others who have stumbled upon the same solution but have not blogged about it; I’m not doubting others have also found this solution but it’s not as well known as you’d believe! As for ranting about Canon, I’ll do as I wish, it’s my blog! Thanks for the comment though, appreciated :- )

August 21st, 2012 at 5:04 pm
    Naomi Says:

It’s not working!!! The printer still shows “E”.

August 25th, 2012 at 10:25 am
    Haseeb Says:

Thx a LOT! I’ve been wanting to dump the printer but it’s back yay! thx man, ur awesome!

August 26th, 2012 at 7:58 am
    Haseeb Says:

Now it’s not working again!!!

August 30th, 2012 at 1:27 pm
    Frankie Says:

Amazing! Thank you so much- this has made my day :-)

September 13th, 2012 at 6:35 pm
    paul Says:

thanks chap

September 17th, 2012 at 2:46 pm
    John Says:

After wading through web page after web page of semi literate and grammatically baffling ‘tips’ (none of which worked) on how to achieve this, It was with relief that I found your article – many thanks for the clarity.

October 1st, 2012 at 11:01 pm
    juliette Says:

None of these tips are working on my MP140. Seriously feel like throwing it out of the window! I will NEVER buy a canon again! Thanks for the tips though, I get about half way but then the power button does nothing at all :-(

October 12th, 2012 at 7:55 am
    Markus Says:

Hi, Mike.
    After following your Instructions,I can say that everything is working fine again. While printing a Test-page, I looked at the printers status window and voilà: It shows “new” cartridges, after I just refilled them. Thanx for your help,dude.
    Thanx a lot again!
    Greetings from Germany

October 30th, 2012 at 2:14 am
    Ashokan Says:

i was trying to install a new cartridge to my Canon Pixma MP 499. But it is not showing no ink in dialogue box. i was trying to do the above mentioned step, but it is not working. Could you please sort it out for me.

November 7th, 2012 at 6:05 pm
    Aad. Says:

Refilled Cartridges in Canon MP160.
    Works perfect, software shows full ink level.
    Thanks a lot.

November 12th, 2012 at 9:56 am
    MM Says:

Hi Mike! I have MP160. Follow your instruction and got the “0”. However, when I press the + button, the value didn’t change to “1”.Nothing happen.
    i’m stuck here. Any ideas? Millions thanks!

November 29th, 2012 at 8:00 pm
    Gaz Says:

Hi Mike, absolute diamond, followed instructions (had to press colour button twice to get the random print),now showing full cartridges. Many thanks

December 5th, 2012 at 5:24 pm
    Silver surfer Says:

Works perfect… Thanks a lot!

December 6th, 2012 at 1:44 pm
    Gerry Swan Says:

Cheers again Mike I had to look again how to do it and that was using WH Smiths “genuine” canon copies lol

December 10th, 2012 at 8:13 pm
    Dennis Says:

Thanks a million Mike, you are the man!

December 10th, 2012 at 8:23 pm
    Dennis Says:

@MM, I did it on my MP160 and it worked fine, try going back over the instructions again, Thanks again Mike!

December 13th, 2012 at 3:22 pm
    Francesco Says:

Thanks a lot, it saved my day with my mp140!

December 21st, 2012 at 8:31 pm
    Roy Mortimer Says:

Thankyou so much Made my day
    Great only work round that worked !

December 21st, 2012 at 11:17 pm
    Darren Salisbury Says:

Thanks a bunch Mike!! printed it out and stuck on wall behind printer. Legend! nice bike btw :)

January 5th, 2013 at 12:55 am
    Bob Sheffels Says:

Very much appreciated, Mike. Your brilliance and kindness in sharing uncluttered this mind infected by Canon’s rapacious devilry and rebooted me to happiness.

January 6th, 2013 at 11:43 am
    Alan Wesson Says:

It always amazes me that they are too stupid to realise that this kind of thing REALLY p*sses customers off (well, it certainly does me). I wouldn’t buy another Canon printer until Hell froze over, however good it was, simply because I regard this kind of policy as manipulative and dishonest.

FYI the policy is called Freebie marketing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebie_marketing), and it is a conscious decision on Canon’s part. They know that they can dump cheap printers on people, and once they have the customer locked in they can sell them overpriced consumables for ever. Trying to lock them into ‘genuine’ consumables is al part of the policy.

Well, I’m sorry, Canon (and all the others) – the policy stinks. You have been rumbled, so please stop doing it and start selling your consumables at reasonable prices.

January 9th, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    jaapaap Says:

Another cheap and easy way to fool the printer is to take a not completely empty cartridge and put a piece of tape over the part where the inkt comes out. You can also just put in a brand new cartridge without removing that piece of plastic that is taped over the place where the inkt comes out but it is more expensive.

January 11th, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    Samantha Says:

Thanks a million for posting this, much appreciated!
    Samantha

January 14th, 2013 at 1:24 am
    Sallie Says:

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your help. I wasted 3 hours today trying to get the darn printer to work before I stumbled upon your blog. Now if only I could find similar help to get my HP Photosmart printer to work!

January 15th, 2013 at 9:58 am
    Dick Says:

Travis, I have a MX410 and followed your suggestion mentioned on March 8th, as well as many others, but I can’t get rid of the message that my ink is almost empty after having placed a new full cartridge.

January 28th, 2013 at 8:24 pm
    ALEX Says:

Hi I tried this steps
    – Press the Power Button twice; the printer will now print some random information which you can discard

But it didnt print any test page. Please help

February 8th, 2013 at 1:04 pm
    Loo Says:

Thankyou! You are a genius!!! :D

February 8th, 2013 at 1:06 pm
    Loo Says:

Alex, did you press the right button? First time I tried it I pressed the reset button twice by mistake… second time worked perfectly!

February 11th, 2013 at 2:39 pm
    Stacey Says:

I have a MP140 and I’m using canon cartridges that I refilled myself. I refilled them a few months ago and they’ve been working fine until yesterday. I’ve tried the above steps but wasn’t getting the 0 when putting back on. I done as someone else suggested and removed the cartridges then followed the steps. This time I got the 0 and performed the rest of the steps, but it’s still saying ink cartridges not recognised. Does anyone have any suggestions?

February 18th, 2013 at 4:02 pm
    stigofthenest Says:

my reaction – clap of hands & a ”get in there” salutation..

just for the record i own the mp 160 and the instruction worked a treat.

give that man a huge pat on the back.

March 5th, 2013 at 5:20 pm
    Janey Says:

Mike, if you were here I’d plant a smacker on your lips!!!
    Not only have you managed to get the mp140 up and running again (thus allowing me to print more T-shirt transfer’s and quilt them into banners), BUT and this bit is MOST important…..
    I got it working and my partner IT engineer couldn’t!!!! ah ha!!! the woman, blonde worked it out (with a little help from a friend)
    Thanks Mike,

March 18th, 2013 at 9:16 pm
    Tom Says:

this is a very useful video helped me fix my MP499

March 23rd, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    John Says:

Hi Mike, thanks for your advice above for installing cart’s. It worked after being frustrated for afew hours.

cheers John

March 24th, 2013 at 1:46 pm
    Justine Says:

I am happy my mp140 is perfectly working without having to spend much money on a cartridge. You are a genius. Thanks for sharing!

April 5th, 2013 at 8:25 pm
    macvita Says:

It works. Thanks for your detail instructions. I refilled the used ink cartridge (by drilling a hole on the cartridge) and found that the level monitor did not reset. After doing according to your instructions, the level reset and the printer is printing happily. Thank you very much!

April 14th, 2013 at 7:03 am
    dinum Says:

Thanks a lot
    Great stuff here
    I work at canon
    So expensive consumables
    Cool cost effective idias
    Great service to community!!!

April 21st, 2013 at 2:22 am
    Laura Says:

I have a Canon Pixma MG2250, I have tried all ways to reset my ink cartridges with no luck. Gladly recien suggestions, or the printers going out the window. Many thanks:)

April 24th, 2013 at 2:36 pm
    Pieter Says:

I did everything as you said in the first 4 steps viz. unplug,press on/of button, reconnect cable, leave on/of button and then the “0” does not appear to make it 1. The yellow light behind the triangle on the left starts to flicker. What must I do?. Please help me because I need to scan my documents to the computer.
    Thank you so much!! Pieter.

May 16th, 2013 at 11:03 pm
    hannah Says:

Steve we got to the bit with waiting for the 0 but it doesn’t seem to be showing up ??? HELP!!!!! we are too student girls who have no clue and may have just broken the printer.

May 16th, 2013 at 11:04 pm
    hannah Says:

sorry mike :S

May 16th, 2013 at 11:16 pm
    amy Says:

same problem as pieter and hannah please help

May 17th, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    Richard Says:

Thank you. I am a Canon Pixma MP160 user i i had enough for purchasing cartridges after printing only about 80 pages… Very little, but i kept because os the scanner…
    The values here in Portugal for the black CL40 original is 25€ and for the colour CL41 is 41€ original.
    Now, after passing through your site, i refilled my cartridges in a specialized shop,the refilled black CL40 is 12€. The refilled colour CL41 is 13€. I think i made a great deal, since the printer now accepts to reset the ink levels and restart all over.
    I am at University and have lots of works to print. The Portuguese Economical situation is very hard for the time, and this comes a bit helpfull.
    Thank you once more.

June 26th, 2013 at 3:45 pm
    Gail Says:

Thankyou so very much. This worked for a pixma mp170 as well. Canons prices compared to generic is ridiculous, not all of us are made of money canon.
    Thankyou Mike.

July 1st, 2013 at 11:31 am
    kim thorne Says:

hi i have a canon pixma mp280 print/scan/copy printer and i used a refill kit for my ink cartridges and when i tried to print it still said i was low on ink and didn’t recognize that i refilled the ink cartridges and that the cartriges were now full of ink.

help is there a safe and effective way to fix the problem myself please!

July 3rd, 2013 at 11:53 am
    Ian Gledhill Says:

I was having this problem just now….
    Eventually I tracked it down to a few things:
    1) For a factory reset, press the power button down while connecting up the power, and then press the STOP/RESET button twice *after* the power light has lit up under your finger, to make sure it registers.
    2) I found the problem after reset is with the colour ink cartridge. As soon as this is put in, E 5 comes up. Remove it, and it’s back to a healthy “1”. I’ve got another (refilled) cartridge on the way. Fingers crossed!

Hope that helps someone!

July 7th, 2013 at 3:17 am
    jp Says:

I have same problem as mm , I can get the 0 , but cannot change the value, any suggestions

August 23rd, 2013 at 9:33 pm
    Dotty Says:

Thank you ever so much! At least I can scan without new ink cartridges!

September 12th, 2013 at 12:23 pm
    Marco Says:

Hi. Thank You very much. I was just about to give up on my printer.
    so after I found and followed your instructions my printer is work fine.
    tks indeed again.

September 12th, 2013 at 7:56 pm
    Dragon Says:

Thanks Mike,
    I just wanted try to scan with empty cartridges and your blog was of a great help.
    The only difference is that I took cartridges out before step 1 and continue steps 1-5. After step 5, I disconnect power supply one more time, connect it back, turn it back on (power button) and BINGO…..it worked!!! I am able to scan now with empty cartridges!!

September 12th, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    Dragon Says:

Ooops, I forgot to tell, it is mp160. One more time thank you

October 7th, 2013 at 8:32 pm
    Henrieta Says:

Hi. Very big thanks for the help, Mike!

October 20th, 2013 at 12:53 pm
    Rich M. Says:

I just bought some cartridges and was really annoyed it wouldn’t recognise the bloody things but this is brilliant!!! – thank you very very much, this is extremely helpful.

Thank you for taking the effort to post the link.

Legend!!!

October 22nd, 2013 at 1:04 am
    Seven Says:

Thanks! Tried lots of variations and like everyone else I was about to throw it to the trash until I found you :)

I couldn’t get the zero to show on the display but I tried ‘Alison C’s suggestion and took out the cartridge and followed the steps again and bingo.

THX THX THX

November 13th, 2013 at 3:19 pm
    Ian Foulds Says:

I tried your method on the MG2250, but the “0” did not show!
    Any ideas?
    Ian

December 2nd, 2013 at 2:51 am
    Armando Says:

Your instructions were the only ones that worked. However, on my MP150 I had to modify the step where you say that one should press the power button twice; when I did this nothing happened but when I pressed the Colour button again, the “random information,” which you mentioned, printed and after that I followed the remaining instructions without any issue. Thank you. I am very grateful for you help.

December 13th, 2013 at 1:50 pm
    JR Says:

Hi Mike
    In mexico a CL41 cartridge is 480 pesos, a refill is 88 pesos.
    Thanks to your posting, the printer now accepts the refill.
    Thank you so much.

February 13th, 2014 at 5:37 am
    Ryan Says:

Mike,

You are awesome!!!

Thank you from the Philippines!

March 31st, 2014 at 12:04 pm
    Robert Says:

Works for MP210.

April 5th, 2014 at 8:26 pm
    Catherine Says:

I was recently given this old printer Canon MP140 and Mike’s instruction at the beginning worked a treat. Printer now accepting cheaper cartridges and its wonderful, thank you Mike, your instruction still working a treat many years later!

June 13th, 2014 at 12:43 pm
    Andy Says:

Thank you so much! It works like a charm!
    I wish I found your instructions earlier!

July 5th, 2014 at 3:48 pm
    raghoba Says:

sir,I have canon pixma 145. I installed refilled cartridges.but it is not recognising color cartridge• i tried rest with following method but my + button not functioning that moment , instead the button side to it is functional. I tried to bring 1 with that button but A4 Plain Paper and A4 Photo Paper LEDs do not light.

•Press and hold the Power Button whilst plugging the power lead back in, then whilst continuing to hold the button down press the Reset Button (the one with the red triangle inside the circle) twice
    •Release the Power Button and after around 10 seconds the display will show ‘0’
    •Press the + Button to change the value from ‘0’ to ‘1’
    •Press the Colour Button; you’ll notice that both the A4 Plain Paper and A4 Photo Paper LEDs will now be on
    •Make sure that there is some paper in the paper feeder
    •Press the Power Button twice; the printer will now print some random information which you can discard
    •Now open the printer cover (not the scanner cover) and remove the cartridges. With the printer still open, remove the power lead from the back of the printer once again
    •Close the printer cover
    •Replace the power lead and press the Power Button to turn the printer back on
    •Now replace the cartridges and the ink level monitor will be reset

what to do?

November 4th, 2014 at 10:38 am
    Michael Says:

Thank you very much for the assistance. Your post is highly appreciated and I can now refill my old cartridges and reset the printer to accept them. Regards from South Africa.